Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Turkish lemonade


The last of the citrus is maturing with about two dozen lemons left on the tree, still too green to pick. We still have a few week's supply of oranges and tangerines on the trees. The lime tree I planted two years ago has still not produced any fruit.

I have been trying to think of home made treats for the children so we can stop the buying them food from shops when we go out. It is easy to fall into the habit of always getting them a little something, especially when they wear me down with pestering. Our children have come to expect that every time they get in the car there will be a treat. About three weeks ago, they went cold turkey.

One of the things I have come up with as a substitute for expensive juices from the shop is Turkish lemonade; the children love it. Here is the recipe:

6 lemons juiced
1/2 cup of caster sugar
1 small splash of rose water

Heat all the ingredients over a low flame until caster sugar is totally dissolved, then leave it to cool. To drink it, mix it with water, about 1 part lemonade to 6 parts water. It keeps in the fridge for ages.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, I'll give that a try.

Sounds like it would be nice with a splash of vodka or gin (obviously not for the kids though)

Julie McNeill said...

Thankyou for this - when I was in childbirth labour this drink was what kept me going!
Now, I have got a huge bag of lemons from the tree and going to make her some for my grandson!